Focus on outcome
All activities and projects undertaken by the Committee have a relentless focus on outcome.
- We are a member driven organisation
- We will be inclusive with a wide range of members across civil society, business and academia
- We will rely on our research to operate from a fact based platform
- We will use a unique model of advocacy that takes a long-term, apolitical approach
- We will be a think tank committed to sharing information that we believe will positively influence policy development for the entire region
- We have a clear vision and are committed to bringing this into realisation
- We aspire to playing a leadership role by focusing on issues that are critical to Canterbury’s future growth and development
- We will work collaboratively with an influential group of members and stakeholders
- We will be independent of government and business organisations
- We will offer members the opportunity for participation and input
- We will be thought leaders with a transparent agenda
Our founding principles
- Independent and objective
- Research informed and evidence based
- Improving prosperity and wellbeing
What we are
MembershipA not for profit, member funded network that unites Canterbury’s business, civil society and academia leaders to ensure the sustainable growth of Canterbury – economic, social, cultural and environmental.
Think tankA think tank producing evidence based research through a network of academic and independent researchers, working collaboratively to influence policy and advocate on issues that will contribute to Canterbury’s long-term wellbeing and prosperity.
VisionaryStrong advocates for a visionary long-term plan for Canterbury.
CollaborativeAn engaging forum where our members can collaborate and channel their passion for Canterbury.
PositiveA drive of initiatives, policies, projects and activities to foster positive developments for the region.
InformedAn informed commentator and credible advocate on issues affecting the growth and development of Canterbury, now and in the future.
CSRA vehicle for Canterbury’s business community to demonstrate their commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility (corporate responsibility is an imperative for safeguarding the sustainability of a business as a business can only grow if the economy and society are strong).
What we are not
A group focused on earthquake recoveryWhile earthquake recovery is highly relevant, other organisations are focusing on this, and we will have a wider and long-term outlook.
An industry bodyOur members will be drawn from the community and academia as well as business.
A social welfare promoting agencyOur members represent a wide range of interests including leading businesses in the region.
City centricOur reach will be broad and our advocacy impacts the entire region.
PoliticalOur longevity of commitment spans political cycles, social, economic and cultural change.
An exclusive networkMembership will be representative of the wider community.
The Committees For Cities and Regions Network
The Committee for Canterbury is now a member of the Committees for Cities and Regions Movement.
Currently comprised of 15 committees in Australasia, including Melbourne, Perth, Ballarat, Geelong, Cairns, Sydney and Auckland.